The Bell Family

The Bell Family

Monday, May 13, 2013

The Next Phase

Yesterday began a new phase for our family.  My daughter, Taylor, graduated from Central Baptist College.  This institution has been a part of her life for the last few years and we find ourselves at a stand still.  What to do next?  We have started planning her wedding, which will be next May 17.  She also has a "to do" list that she wants us to complete. 

For the first time in 20 years I only have 1 child in school.  What does that mean for me?  I'm not sure.  I think about the papers that I have helped with during the night, the phone calls when she has forgotten something and I ran it to her, the times we had lunch "quick, Mom, because I have to be in Bro. Raines class in 25 minutes", and the times I've had to go pay a fee right now because the deadline was yesterday.  The nights of prayer for her classes and professors, yes, I know my child and they needed it, are over for now...NOT.  Now I find myself praying for wisdom for a job, becoming a wife (that scares me a little), and especially for her to not turn away from church and God.  I was 23 once and I thought I was so smart and had all the answers...only to find out a little at a time that I wasn't and didn't. 

We think our job as a parent will fade as they become older...it hasn't happened yet at my house.  I thank God that my kids still need me...even if it is to pay for gas or buy them a can opener.  The things I dreaded so much are beginning to happen and it is okay.  My roll has changed and their roll has changed.  I'm thinking I might like it. 

Sometimes I go to bed at 8 o'clock if I want to and I eat strawberry shortcake for dinner.  I read what I want and not have to hide the romance novel when the kids come in...sometimes I even watch whatever I want and not have to change the channel when I hear someone drive up...yep, this life is sounding pretty good right now.

For you who have young ones:

know that you are always their mom
they will always need you in some capacity
tell them daily you love them and how proud you are of them
when they are down or disappointed, raise them up and make them smile
kiss them every opportunity you have
know that one day they realize they aren't as smart as you
realize they don't learn from our mistakes
let them be their own person
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THEM.

Know that there's life after they start to grow up...and right now it's lookin' pretty good to this momma!

Happy thoughts are coming your way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment